Today I introduce a new topic to my blog: a way to give. I don't want my blog to be entirely focused on GETTING money and saving it. I think giving is an important part of living life to its fullest potential. Service in any form heals and improves our own souls, along with those receiving it. So today I want to highlight a giving opportunity.
We know how poor people can be both abroad in third-world countries, and here at home (for me, US soil). It's easy to get overwhelmed with the shear number of people in need and to feel like there's no way to help, especially when we are so far away and all we know is what we see in the news. We have no real connection to what we are seeing on TV. It's easy to say, "There's nothing I can do," or the slightly better, "I wish I could help but I just don't know how I could make a difference."
Well, there is something you can do!
By lending (that's right, you'd get it back!) as little as $25 at a time, you can help fund micro-credit loans to budding entrepreneurs in these countries (or even here in the US).
How? Through kiva.org.
Kiva is a non-profit organization based in California. It connects would-be donors with entrepreneurs all over the world. You can browse profiles of all the people needing loans and you get to choose who you donate to. Want to support women entrepreneurs? You can do that. Want to donate to a business in a specific country? You can do that too. Want to donate to a specific business in a specific industry? Kiva lets you decide.
How does it work?
You go on Kiva's website and browse through people in need of loans. Donate however much you want (min $25) to who you want to fund. That money (100% of it!) goes through Kiva to a local micro-finance institution (MFI) that funds the entrepreneur. They receive the funds, and use it to purchase whatever equipment they need (already predetermined at the time they apply for the loan.) With the increase in revenue, they pay back the loan bit by bit, a few dollars at a time. You can check on the status of repayment at anytime on kiva's website. The payments are paid back to your Kiva account. Once the loan is paid back in full, Kiva lets you know and you have the option of withdrawing the money to get your $25 back, or re-donating to someone else. That same $25 can be used again and again to make a HUGE difference in many people's lives! How easy is that?
Painless, right? Wait, it gets even better, because Kiva is running a promotion. Through a generous sponsor, you and I can both get $25 to lend to a venture for FREE. Why? Because it's so easy to make a difference that once you try it, you'll want to keep doing it! The current promotion works through a referral system. Since I am already a member of the Kiva community (I've donated $75 to entrepreneurs), by clicking on any of the links in my blog or in the top box in the left column, (or if that's too difficult, here).
If you still have questions about how it works, check out the following video from kiva.org or check out the story PBS Frontline aired about the organization.
Time is limited, so please make a difference, educate yourself about the process more if you want and just CLICK!
We know how poor people can be both abroad in third-world countries, and here at home (for me, US soil). It's easy to get overwhelmed with the shear number of people in need and to feel like there's no way to help, especially when we are so far away and all we know is what we see in the news. We have no real connection to what we are seeing on TV. It's easy to say, "There's nothing I can do," or the slightly better, "I wish I could help but I just don't know how I could make a difference."
Well, there is something you can do!
By lending (that's right, you'd get it back!) as little as $25 at a time, you can help fund micro-credit loans to budding entrepreneurs in these countries (or even here in the US).
How? Through kiva.org.
| My first Kiva loan of $25 went to Dugersuren in Mongolia. |
How does it work?
You go on Kiva's website and browse through people in need of loans. Donate however much you want (min $25) to who you want to fund. That money (100% of it!) goes through Kiva to a local micro-finance institution (MFI) that funds the entrepreneur. They receive the funds, and use it to purchase whatever equipment they need (already predetermined at the time they apply for the loan.) With the increase in revenue, they pay back the loan bit by bit, a few dollars at a time. You can check on the status of repayment at anytime on kiva's website. The payments are paid back to your Kiva account. Once the loan is paid back in full, Kiva lets you know and you have the option of withdrawing the money to get your $25 back, or re-donating to someone else. That same $25 can be used again and again to make a HUGE difference in many people's lives! How easy is that?
| Maria Isabel in Nicaragua. In repayment. 75% repaid. |
If you still have questions about how it works, check out the following video from kiva.org or check out the story PBS Frontline aired about the organization.
Time is limited, so please make a difference, educate yourself about the process more if you want and just CLICK!
No comments:
Post a Comment