Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Education Postpones Wealth-Building

So I'm (hopefully) getting ready to graduate by April of 2013.  So now I'm getting those uncomfortable questions about what exactly I'm going to do with my life afterwards. Especially when they hear my major is Cultural Studies.  What am I going to do with that?  I. Have. No. Idea.  But there is one question I can answer easily without hesitation.  "Are you going to grad school?"  The answer is a resounding, "NO."

Here's why: I want to make money. I don't want to accumulate more school debt. I want to get out there and get started with my life.

So here's a little tidbit from Millionaire Next Door that made  me feel all good inside and validated about my opinion:
"The "some college," "four-year college graduate," and "no college" types who have high incomes often had a head start on many well-educated workers.  Doctors and other well-educated professionals get a very late start in the earnings race.  It is difficult to accumulate wealth when one is in school. [No kidding!] The longer one stays in school, the longer one postpones producing an income and building wealth."
So there you have it. Ah, the sweet sound of justification.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. As someone who is working on my 3rd graduate degree, I can agree that you do NOT accumulate wealth. I can also say that you do not accumulate as much scholarly knowledge. So there are certain professions that MUST continue forward with school in order to contribute to society fully. It's all about what you want in life. I would say many people who go to grad school are not expecting a monetary payout, but a boost in their ability to earn a living and to serve in their chosen field. You'll find a great job! I think it's very smart to get to work after college, whether you plan on attending grad school or not. Good luck, Chantel!

    ReplyDelete